“When I created Buffy, I wanted to create a female icon, but I also wanted to be very careful to surround her with men that not only have no problem with the idea of a female leader, but were in fact engaged and even attracted to the idea.”
- Joss Whedon
Twilight can suck it. Suck it hard. You can have your domestic-violence begging leading lady. I’ll keep my feminist icon of Buffy.
Joss pays such lip service to this idea, but he spent the entire show punishing Buffy for having feelings along with that strength.
My bold for emphasis.
I have this friend who constantly argues with me about this man, claiming that he never said he work is feminist and that’s something other people push on it, blah blah. But as the bolded above expertly points out, even if he never uses the term “feminist”, he’s definitely trading on those ideas, and then falling down in actual execution.
Anyway, who said that we can only be mad at self-identified feminists for fucking up representations of women? Also, he was apparently a Women’s/Gender Studies major, so he really has NO excuse.
People love to tell me how feminist Joss Whedon’s shows are. All the damn time. While maybe he does better then some he is still a far cry from perfect….
Ummm… Joss Whedon (or, more accurately, the people who actually wrote the episodes, which was not Joss for the most part) spent all of Buffy and all of Angel punishing every character who had feelings for having them. He had Angel be intentionally emotionally manipulated into losing his soul on Angel, for fuck’s sake.
Buffy? Yes, absolutely. But also Angel, Spike, Xander, Willow, Cordelia, Giles, Anya, Dawn, Oz, Riley, Drusilla, Ben… If they loved someone? It got fucked up and they got hurt. If they acted impulsively? They dealt with the consequences. And not always well.
I love Joss Whedon for creating so many strong female characters. Are they the perfect, shining beacons of feminism that I’d love for them to be? No. They’re uniformly tiny and gorgeous. They’re uniformly unrealistically badass. And that sucks. But they actually have emotions and flaws and they fuck up and sometimes they learn from it and sometimes they don’t, and that is what makes them awesome. And what makes him awesome, to me? Is that the same holds true for the male characters and for the female characters other than the heroine.
(via iamgwenslongroadhome)Source: logicnothormones
- thegreywardencommander reblogged this from kayebirdswims
- thegreywardencommander likes this
- sara-huynh reblogged this from karnythia and added:
- quixotess likes this
- firenationprince likes this
- ai-yo reblogged this from karnythia and added:
- demonrevolutionary reblogged this from b-mommy
- caramelcheese reblogged this from b-mommy and added:
- caramelcheese likes this
- chupnaraho reblogged this from karnythia and added:
- grezlycub likes this
- librariansdoitinthestacks reblogged this from iamgwenslongroadhome and added:
- midnightparadox likes this
- custerdiedforyoursins likes this
- sweetbl00d89 reblogged this from lilladywonder
- zeico likes this
- lilladywonder reblogged this from planetpocketprotector
- pancakesofbacon likes this
- gingerberrycat reblogged this from masteradept
- masteradept reblogged this from karnythia
- canering likes this
- painedbrain likes this
- impudentstrumpet likes this
- mmemordant likes this
- theotherjack likes this
- iamgwenslongroadhome reblogged this from cabell and added:
- warrennotg likes this
- polar-bear likes this
- otarsus likes this
- mathcat345 likes this
- cannelledusoleil likes this
- jmarie3 likes this
- nicky36 likes this
- coyotesqrl reblogged this from love-and-radiation and added:
- coyotesqrl likes this
- existentialtea likes this
- whataboutthemenses reblogged this from karnythia and added:
- masteradept likes this
- the-speckled-blonde likes this
- causethisismyblog reblogged this from planetpocketprotector
- causethisismyblog likes this
- whataboutthemenses likes this
- eidoleon likes this
- tardiscrash likes this
- mutantaday likes this
- thecultofcraze reblogged this from whorthean-beacon and added:
- macalaniaspring likes this
- whorthean-beacon reblogged this from iandsharman and added:
- gustave-flowbert reblogged this from iandsharman and added:
- mooseyfox reblogged this from iandsharman